Saturday, December 11, 2010

The World is....FLAT???

So way back in the day the world was said to be flat. People believed you would sail to the end of the ocean and fall right off of it. Today we know better than this, but begin to use the same term again in a different way. The Flat Classroom Project is one that brings people from all around the world together to collaborate on a wiki and create a video on something that has to do with technology, hence bringing the world together and seemingly "flat." I was an expert advisor for this project and now am currently a judge.

The videos that I am judging come from students all around the world. They are all centered around one theme ( Globalization and Outsourcing) and had very different and unique videos. The thing about judging these projects is that you can really tell who has worked on their videos and really collaborated versus who has not. It is amazing to see high schoolers from all around the world work together so well and produce some truly amazing and unique videos. I had a hard time narrowing it down to my ultimate favorite video from the top 4 that I had selected, because my top 4 videos were all so different. I really liked each of them for a very different reason. When it came down to it, using the rubric is what really made my final decision.

This project is very unique and I can see it becoming something that will be more common in the future. It is important to try and get people from all around the world to collaborate in the classrooms, because that is the way our world is becoming. The topic I judged was particularly relevant, because our world is becoming more globalized and outsourcing is becoming more and more common. Students need to try and build these skills early on in order to be more effective and efficient in the future. I really enjoyed judging this project and am looking forward to what the world has to offer our students in the future when it comes to projects such as this!

No comments:

Post a Comment